Back to Canterbury Historic Plaques


Carnells of Canterbury - Upholsterers


The property at 173 Canterbury Road was built in 1912 for William McDermott, upholsterer. George Carnell took over the business in 1919 and moved to number 175 in 1939, and combined it with 177. The second storey workrooms over both shops were built in the mid-1940s. In the 1970s, the property at 179 was incorporated in Carnell's as a showroom.


In front of his store, George Carnell stands on the right and the original owner, William McDermott, on the left.